Stuck with a difficult assignment? No time to get your paper done? Feeling confused? If you’re looking for reliable and timely help for assignments, you’ve come to the right place. We promise 100% original, plagiarism-free papers custom-written for you. Yes, we write every assignment from scratch and it’s solely custom-made for you.
Order a Similar Paper Order a Different Paper
Week 6: Discussion: Mrs. A.
44 unread replies.44 replies.
The initial post must include responses to all the questions in both case studies.
Mrs. A has been taking high doses of glucocorticoids for much of the past 2 years to control severe rheumatoid arthritis. She has now developed hypertension and type 2 diabetes and would like to stop taking the cortisone because of the unwanted changes in her appearance.
- How does Cushing’s syndrome affect the individual?
- Discuss how hypertension and diabetes have developed and the potential complications of these conditions.
- Discuss other potential problems that Mrs. A may experience resulting from long-term use of glucocorticoids.
Mrs. L is a 63-year-old woman who reports constant back pain. Further inquiry into her medical history revealed that over the past 3 years, she has suffered fractures of her femur and wrist after minor falls. She experienced menopause at age 49. Mrs. L has a secretarial job, drives to work, and she “does not have time for exercise.” She reports that she consumes 8 to 10 cups of coffee a day and has been a smoker most of her adult life. She has not seen her physician recently nor had a recommended bone density test because of the time and cost involved.
- Relate Mrs. L’s history to the diagnosis of osteoporosis. What risk factors are present, and how does each predispose to decreased bone density?
- Explain the cause of pathological fractures in this patient.
- How could osteoporosis have been prevented in Mrs. L?
- Discuss the treatments available to the patient.