Every crisis intervention social worker must â€˜know thyselfâ€™ and have awareness of what â€˜issuesâ€™ may be triggered during a crisis based on oneâ€™s own life experiences. Everybody has strengths, vulnerabilities, needs, and areas of concern. After completing the Compassion Satisfaction/Fatigue Self-Test for Helpers Survey, tally the scores as directed. These results will help to shape your self-care plan.
You will write a 5-8 page paper in first person drawing from your own experience. This paper is written from your perspective. Where indicated, it is expected that course materials will be cited and referenced. Additional scholarly sources are welcome, but must be in addition to assigned readings and multimedia material. All citations and references must be APA formatted. Include headings and subheadings where indicated. Be sure to completely and thoroughly complete all parts of each section. Your paper should be free of spelling, punctuation, and grammar errors. Demonstrate professional demeanor in your writing and critical thought throughout your paper.
STEP 1: Take the Compassion Satisfaction/Fatigue Self-Test for Helpers Survey, tally the scores as directed.
STEP 2: Complete the Self-Awareness & Self Care Plan as outlined below.
In this plan, address the following providing headings for each section:
- Self-Awareness (1-2 pages): Provide an introduction of who you in this moment and how intersecting factors relate to your identity and how this may relate to understanding stress.
- What cultural influences have most influenced your ability to identify and manage stress? Was it role-modeling by caregivers growing up or watching how other adults handle stress?
- When you feel stressed out (eustress and distress), how does this stress manifest? Emotionally, Physically? Mentally? Spiritually?
- Self-Assessment (2-3 pages): Thoroughly discuss the three key areas providing a subheading for each area (1) compassion satisfaction, (2) compassion fatigue, and (3) burnout. Provide a minimum of two APA citations and corresponding references. Each section focuses their assessment focusing on the following key questions,
- Introduce concept and your results for each section. Were you surprised? Is this what you expected? What did you learn from this survey?
- How do you (present) and will you know (future) when are you at your best? How do you (present) and will you know (future) when are you at your breaking point?
- How do you know (present) and how will you know (future) when situations trigger countertransference reactions?
- How might the concept of â€˜vicarious resiliencyâ€™ inform your future work with trauma in practice?
Self-Care Strategies (1-2 pages): Identify 5-8 self-care strategies providing a sustainability plan for integrating these strategies into your day-to-day life. Provide minimum of two APA citations and corresponding references.