Heroes have always been a part of written stories. Heroes from Greek mythology often had super-human characteristics, but also had fatal flaws, and often met with tragic ends because of these flaws. The era post World War I and II created comic book heroes that did not seem to have any flaws. The current super-heroes all seem to be dark heroes – heroes that may not always do acceptable (legal) things, but overall may have good intentions. One similarity that many hero stories share is the monomyth, or hero’s journey, as you read about in this week’s unit.
Be sure to address the following in your presentation:
- Discuss how the character of one Hero or Superhero (fictional) reflects the times that they are written. You may select a fictional hero from any era, however you should be comfortable describing that era’s culture as well.
- Explain why this hero would resonate with the general era in which they were written.
- Describe the elements of the monomyth that are apparent in this hero’s story. HINT! Utilize a template like the one listed below to break down each part of the monomyth.
Submission: A 10-12 slide PowerPoint presentation or Prezi that answers the questions posed above. Include speaker notes or a voice-over, images, and videos where applicable. If you choose the voice-over option, you will upload your recording web link (URL).
In your presentation:
- Provide speaker’s notes or a voice over on the PowerPoint to accompany each slide. If you choose speaker’s notes, the total word count of your notes should be 800-1000 words. If you choose to create a voice-over recording your presentation should be 5-7 minutes long.
- Include a title slide and include your references page in APA format on the last slide of the presentation.
- A visual overview of the Monomyth/Hero’s Journey can be found at https://thetrojanwar.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/monomyth.jpg.
- Prezi would be especially interesting to use for this assignment! If you are new to using Prezi, check out this example online of a presentation using Prezi: https://prezi.com/k6bxm9naoxbb/the-heros-journey/
- Screencast-o-matic is an easy, free tool to use to create your voice over. Get free access at https://screencast-o-matic.com/
- If you are new to using Screencast-o-matic, tutorials are available at http://help.screencast-o-matic.com/