By completing this Summative Assignment, you will demonstrate your abilities with the following objectives:
- Apply teaching techniques and strategies that incorporate respect for all cultures.
- Illustrate socio-historical impacts on language and culture in education.
- Discriminate the contemporary context of prejudice.
- Examine educational practices of the school system as it relates to different groups.
- Justify the importance of parent and community involvement in the school.
Additionally, this assignment will provide the opportunity to answer the essential questions of this course’s topic, which are intended to provoke critical thinking not only in this course but also throughout your preparation for and during your professional career. This course has addressed the integration of multicultural relationships and its content-based instruction in the educational setting and within the community. Cultural differences, as a whole, have been evaluated along with specific groups. In the following summative assessment you will choose a unique cultural group with whom you most relate to either personally or professionally. You may pick a cultural group that has been explicitly addressed in this class or one of your own choosing.
Part 1: The Task
Imagine you are the team leader of your school’s Professional Learning Community (PLC) regarding a specific student cultural population on campus. Your school’s principal has asked that you create an online presentation about this population.
You are receiving this assignment at the end of the school year with the expectation that you will present it at the start of the upcoming school year. Additionally, you will have both new and tenured staff that will receive your information. This presentation will be available to all faculty, staff, and administration.
The goals of both the written paper and presentation are to address the following:
- Overview of Culture: Discuss the culture in terms of behavior, social values, family values, gender roles, academics, and traditions from the perspective of someone from that culture.
- History of Culture: Highlight the history of this culture and the contributions of this culture within an educational setting. Inclusionary Practices: Generate a list of inclusionary curricular and instructional practices that all staff could employ to ensure cultural acceptance/integration for this group.
- Parent/Community Involvement: Provide suggestions for including parents in the learning process (e.g., ensuring parents feel accepted and welcome) and align these suggestions to the characteristics of the culture selected.
Part 2: Written Paper
- Prepare a written paper that addresses each of the four goals listed above. The content should consist of approximately 10-12 pages, not including title and references pages. Use at least two scholarly sources in addition to the Wardle (2013) textbook, providing compelling evidence to support ideas, and if applicable, reference to original project if enhancement of existing project occurred. All sources on the reference page need to be used and cited correctly within the body of the assignment. Your paper should contain an introduction with a thesis statement and a conclusion. Use APA formatting consistently throughout the paper. It is recommended you use the goals labels as headings for each section of your content for the paper as follows:
- Overview of Culture
- History of Culture
- Inclusionary Practices
- Parent/Community Involvement
Part 3: Multimedia Presentation
A presentation will accompany your written paper where you will include an overview of your main points from your written paper. Use the presentation software of your choice, such as Present.Me, PowerPoint, or Jing. The presentation time should range from four to five minutes only. The link to your presentation must be included in the introduction of your written paper.