The discussion this week focuses on ageism. Interview one to two people, one aged 35-50 and another 66+. You might interview your parents, grandparents, relatives, or neighbors, for example. Collect the information and then put it in essay format.
Ask yourself and the people you are interviewing the following questions.
- What age is middle age? Why do you think this? What are typical physical signs of aging in middle age?
- What age is old? Why do you think this? What are typical physical signs of aging in old age?
- Are societal attitudes for attractiveness and fitness the same or different for people in their twenties vs. those in their thirties, forties, and fifties?
- Be sure to describe the standards of beauty and whether these are the same or different for each of the above age groups as well as for men and women.
- Ask your interviewee to name a person who represents their ideal of beauty and why that it is? (Get a name and age of the ideal type; hint: usually people select movie stars.)
Ask your interviewees if they believe they have been exposed to societal attitudes based on their age and what, if any, physical changes the interviewee has noticed in his or her physical health and endurance.
- Support what you write using the textbook and article readings. Cite and include references
Please limit it to 2-3 paragraphs with 2 references. I love your work but this is a middle of the week assignment.