Create a webpage or blog (you can use Google Suite(Links to an external site.), Wix (Links to an external site.), or any other free and shareable application). You must share the link in the discussion board in order to complete this assignment. You are required to view and respond to at least two of your peers. I suggest you first gather your data before attempting to create your webpage. Make sure your page is public. Pages that cannot be viewed will not receive any credit.
As we will learn through this course, one of the biggest factors in understanding the children we serve is being able to connect with them. Cultural Competence is a skill that we develop and constantly need to fine tune as our demographics and population may change drastically from year to year (even month to month with the little ones!) That being said, as we conclude the course, you will create your own “Tool Box”.
This Tool Box should include:
- Literature or media relating to cultural competence in general (quotes, poems, readings from the text, reputable external resources, etc)
- Literature or media relating to at least 3 topics discussed throughout this course and the importance of its appropriate integration into our classrooms (DAP practices should always be the standard)
- Different ways you can show your students and parents that you value diversity on all levels (ex: cultural, religious, gender, abilities, diversity between family structures and units, etc.)
- How you can communicate with families of various backgrounds and ways you can avoid potential pitfalls when communicating cross-culturally
- How are you going to increase your overall cultural awareness?
- How you can help counteract any bias or prejudice towards a particular group
- Specific Community Resources that may be available to parents and families in need; or resources that can help families and parents with particular needs (ex: divorced parents support groups)