Objective: Teachers will be able to (1) explain the socio-cultural influences on ELLs, (2) discuss the impact of bilingualism and home language use, (3) examine parental and community resources for aiding English acquisition, and (4) cultivate home and school partnerships.
Preparation:Read or view the following material:1. Read: Parent Involvement Leading Change Session Handout – July 1, 2008. Handout is in the resource list below. 2. Read: Article by Genzuk, “Tapping into community funds of knowledge”. Article is in the resource list below.3. Read: Article, “Funds of knowledge for teaching: Using a qualitative approach to connect homes and classrooms”.4. View: video on Communicating with ESL parents. Link to the video is in the resource list below.
Read and View
- Forum and Activities
· Question 1 –Module 2 Forum
· Reflecting on parent and community involvement, describe an activity or an idea that can be used in your class.
Activity is Question 2
Question 3-Module 2. Exit Ticket
· Complete the exit ticket to demonstrate you’ve met the objective(s) of the module.
· Complete the following items.
· 1. Look at the objective for this session module. In 3-5 sentences demonstrate that you met the objective.
· 2. In 3-5 sentences explain one takeaway from the reading(s) done for this module. What did you learn from the reading(s) with regard to teaching ELLs?
· 3. In 3-5 sentences explain one takeaway from the activities done in this module. What did you learn from the activities with regard to teaching ELLs?
· 4. In 3-5 sentences, explain your thoughts on the videos or power points in this module. What connections did you make with prior knowledge and experiences while watching the videos or power points?