University of Maryland School of Nursing
NRSG 790: Methods of Research and Evidence Based Practice
PICO(T) Evidence Review 2: Review and Synthesis Guidelines and Grading Rubric
The purpose of this assignment is to build upon the skills and processes learned in PICO(T) Evidence Review 1. In that assignment, students identified a practice issue, retrieved relevant body of evidence, and initiated a critical appraisal of the body of evidence (5-7 studies). In this assignment, students will further critically analyze and synthesize the evidence, focused on validity and threats, and determine recommendations for the improvement of nursing practice.
For this assignment, students will use the same PICO(T) question and evidence from PICO(T) Evidence Review 1. Students are required to make revision to the background, PICOT, and/or body of evidence, if needed, based on faculty feedback. Revisions to the PICOT 1 assignment are not assigned a grade on the PICOT 2 rubric, but are required for grading.
Students will review the body of evidence further for strengths and weaknesses, synthesize the evidence, describe gaps, and provide a practice recommendation for a specific setting and population based on the analysis of the reviewed studies. Students are advised to organize the PICOT 2 paper according to the following sections of the grading rubric:
· Section 1 – Practice Problem, PICO(T), Evidence – revise Evidence Review 1 as needed. Include the background and PICOT question from PICOT 1.
· Section 2 – Narrative Evidence Review – utilize faculty, critique assignment, and Modules 4-9 to describe the evidence, identify strengths and weaknesses, and construct a table
· Section 3 – Evidence Synthesis – utilize faculty and Module 10 to examine consistency within the evidence and construct a summary rating table
· Section 4 – Gaps -utilize faculty and Module 10 to identify evidence gaps
· Section 5 – Recommendation – utilize faculty, Discussion Board 4, and Modules 11-15 to discuss practice recommendations and evidence translation
· Utilize the Writing Center as needed. See sample paper and table templates in the Evidence Review Assignment folder under the Assignments/Assessment tab on Blackboard
PICO(T) Evidence Review 2 Grading Rubric