Workplace Ethics: Where Do You Stand?
How do your ethics compare with those of workers across the country? Your Task. Answer yes or no to each item in the following The Wall Street Journal workplace ethics quiz.62 Be prepared to explain and defend your responses in class. At the end of this chapter you can see how others responded to this quiz.
1. Is it wrong to use company e-mail for personal reasons?
2. Is it wrong to use office equipment to help your children or spouse do schoolwork?
3. Is it wrong to play computer games on office equipment during the workday?
4. Is it wrong to use office equipment to do Internet shopping?
5. Is it unethical to blame an error you made on a technological glitch?
6. Is it unethical to visit pornographic Web sites using office equipment?
7. Is a $50 gift to a boss unacceptable?
8. Is a $50 gift FROM the boss unacceptable?
9. Is it OK to take a $200 pair of football tickets from a supplier?
10. Is it OK to accept a $75 prize won at a raffle at a supplier’s conference?