Stuck with a difficult assignment? No time to get your paper done? Feeling confused? If you’re looking for reliable and timely help for assignments, you’ve come to the right place. We promise 100% original, plagiarism-free papers custom-written for you. Yes, we write every assignment from scratch and it’s solely custom-made for you.
Order a Similar Paper Order a Different Paper
Objective of Assignment
- Analyze human resources demand to create a forecast using quantitative and qualitative techniques.
- Use strategies to forecast internal human resources supply.
- Create a human resources plan and describe ways to deal with a human resources surplus and/or shortage.
- Develop business communication skills (written and verbal).
This assignment will use the readings and discussions as a base for an individual assignment where students will play the role of an HR professional and will develop an HR plan for a franchise owner. They will apply HR Planning knowledge to forecast demand and supply and then develop a clear plan to address the resulting labour shortage or surplus.
Dessler, G., Chhinzer, N., & Cole, N. D. (2014). Human resources management in Canada (12th Canadian ed.). Don Mills, Ontario: Pearson Canada Inc.
- Case Incident on page 140:
- Case INCIDENT
- Chapter 5
How to Downsize Successfully While Using
A successful franchise owner of a prestigious sporting
goods chain is feeling the effects of technology,
with more and more online sales and less and less
customers in the shops. Locally tl1ere are three stores,
and typically each store needs the following positions
staffed for optimum profitability and success: a store
manager, an assistant manager, five department
managers, and 20 customer service representatives,
averaging $1 200 000 in annual revenue. However,
there has been a trend of 20 percent sales decline in
stores, with an increase of 30 percent sales online (last
year the online revenue stream was $300 000). The
franchise owner was able to handle all of the online
sales with a team 0£ five full-time remote workers
(working from hon1e) last year.
The owner wants each store to maintain their
productivity, which he measures as the revenue per
employee. He also thinks that there is potential to
grow the online business.
Please help the owner by answering the follov.ring
1 Using your HR planning expertise, forecast the
demand of la hour in the stores and the online
environment over the next three years.
2 Assuming an annual 15 percent turnover level of
in-store workers and a 30 percent turnover level
of online-focused employees, determine HR supply
estimates over the next three years.
3 Do you forecast a labour shortage or surplus?
Develop a clear plan to help address the forecast
labour shortage or surplus.
Conduct research in order to get information to address the following questions (# 1 and 2) from page 142 of the course textbook. Ensure you use some of the qualitative and quantitative techniques described in the course textbook to help formulate your answers. Include at least two scholarly sources.
- Using your HR planning expertise, forecast the demand of labour in the stores and the online environment over the next three years.
- Assuming an annual 15 percent turnover level of in-store workers and a 30 percent turnover level of online-focussed employees, determine overall HR supply estimates over the next three years.
- Additionally, provide some suggestions of activities you could engage in to determine supply details by internal vs. external candidates.
You are to gather the information and write an executive summary (i.e., formal business report) which documents the results of your research above and presents it in a logical manner for senior management of the franchise.
- Your report must be concise (Maximum of 2 pages double spaced, 12-point font excluding cover page and references page).
- It must well-written, but in lay terms so anyone can fully understand your reasoning. Follow APA format and include a proper introduction that clearly outlines the purpose and flow of the essay, and a strong conclusion are important elements.
- You must also provide a properly cited reference page at the end of the report to support any of your conclusions.
- Remember, your objective is to provide an analysis on the labour forecast and turnover for the franchise owner, not simply to answer a series of questions. The questions are to help you focus your research. Your overall grade will reflect the strength of your analysis.
Use the research sources that you found in Part 1 in order to get information to address the following questions (# 3) from page 142 of the course textbook:
- Do you forecast a labour shortage or surplus?
- Develop a clear plan to help address the forecast labour shortage or surplus.
NOTE: your plan will need to include three strategies that focus on at least two of the following areas of HR: Training, Career Development, Total Rewards, and Turnover Management.
You are to complete a 10-minute presentation which documents the results of your research above and presents it in a logical manner for the franchise owner. Your presentation will provide the owner with a high-level summary of the management report, rationale for action, and the recommended HR plan.
- Your presentation must be concise (8-10 PowerPoint slides, 12-point font excluding cover page and references page).
- It must well-written, but in lay terms. Follow APA format and include a proper introduction that clearly outlines the purpose and flow of the presentation, as well as a strong conclusion are important elements.
- You must also provide appropriate academic references (minimum 5) to support your conclusions or recommendations to the owner. As an academic, your friend will be more impressed with vetted journal articles and company prospectus information than Internet sources. Avoid using Wikipedia or other online resources that do not have a strict editorial process. (NOTE: It is said that at any given time, over 80% of information on Wikipedia is true, but we do not know which 20% is not.
The HR Plan: Part 1 and 2 will be marked in its entirety out of 100. The following rubric indicates the criteria students are to adhere to, and their relative weights to the assignment overall.
A peer evaluation process will also be used, and all students will be required to complete the Peer Evaluation form and submit with the final paper.