This course is designed to prepare investigators involved in the design and/or conduct of research involving human subjects to understand their obligations to protect the rights and welfare of subjects in research. The course material presents basic concepts, principles, and issues related to the protection of research participants.
Evidence based research involving human subjects requires that researchers be cognizant of and adhere to the important tenets necessary to protect subjects from abuse, harm, injury, and/or other undesirable outcomes resulting from the research process. Based on this fact, write a minimum of 2 pages (Title page and Reference not included in page count) of an APA formatted paper answering the following questions with a minimum of 3 “short” sentences for each question:
- Historical background of human subjects protection? (10 points)
- Find and discuss at least one historical incident of human subjects abuse in research and what human right was violated. (10 points)
- What steps will you take to minimize risks on human subjects? (10 points)
- What populations are considered vulnerable populations and why? (10 points)
- What are appropriate ways to recruit subjects? (10 points)
- How would you properly obtain consent? (10 points)
- What are the elements of a properly executed consent? (10 points)
- What committees are responsible for monitoring the protection of human subjects? (10 points) the above are also the RUBRIC.
- Total points for questions/content: 80 points
- Title page and a minimum of 2 References: 10 points
- Minimum of 3 “short” sentences to answer each question: 10 points
- TOTAL POINTS: 100 (the gradebook will re-weight this total as 50 points or 5% of the course grade)
NOTE: This is a written APA formatted assignment and “NOT” a YES or NO answer assignment. You are expected to answer each question with at least 3 short sentences, points will be deducted for using a single sentence. Title and Reference pages are required.
- Length: a minimum of 2 pages, title page and references not included in page count
- Citations: a minimum of 2