It probably feels like we just started our learning in this class, but this week we’re going to begin planning for our final paper. To begin, start thinking about a topic for our final persuasive essay. You learned about persuasive writing during this week’s lecture and we’ll get into more details about the essay in the coming weeks but for now, let’s focus on two areas:
- Select a topic for this essay about which you are passionate. Below is the list of approve persuasive topics.
- Locate five sources that will be helpful in the research of your final paper. You’re going to submit these sources in the form of an annotated bibliography. “Annotation” is another word for “notes.” Using APA formatting, write the name of the source. Directly below the source, write an annotation of approximately 100 125 words. In the following links you will find some examples of annotated bibliographies.
Health Sciences and Nursing
- Healthcare as a right or privilege
- Mandatory or voluntary vaccines
- Electronic medical records versus paper records
- Diversity awareness in healthcare – mandatory or voluntary
Tech and Design
- Ethical responsibility for video game content – yes or no
- Video games do/do not reinforce stereotypes.
- Marketing of videogames should/should not be subject to parental control
- Websites and hypertext transfer protocols
- Interpreters in court do/do not influence verdicts and sentencing
- Mandatory sentencing is/is not a deterrent for certain crimes
- Privatizing prisons will/will not make the system more efficient
- Single parents homes do/do not cause higher crime rates
- Race helps/does not help in community policing
- Home childcare is/is not a viable alternative to day care
- Pre school should/should not be mandatory
- Breastfeeding is/is not better for mothers and children
- Standardized testing should/should not take place in kindergarten
- Business and personal ethics should/should not converge
- Diversity awareness is/is not mandatory for success in business
- The Global Economy is/is not the basis for business expansion
- Marketing to children is/is not ethical
For annotated bibliographies, use standard APA format for the citations, then add a brief entry, including:
What are the main arguments?
What is the point of this book/article?
What topics are covered?
How does it compare with other sources in your bibliography?
Is this information reliable? current?
Is the author credible? have the background to write on this topic?
Is the source objective or biased?
Was this source helpful to you? How can you use this source for your research project Has it changed how you think about your topic?