THE WAR OF 1812 DVD
DVD ON RESERVE IN LIBRARY
THE HISTORY CHANNEL
THE FIRST SECTION ONLY
THE BATTLE OF NEW ORLEANS: 5 PARTICIPATION POINTS
Write a response to the Analytical Questions in short essay format, supporting your arguments with specific details and key quotations from the film. You can earn as many as 5 Class Participation points for this assignment. Direct any questions about the film or this assignment to me via e mail. Please send the essay to me as an e mail attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 15, 2017.
- Why was the port of New Orleans so important to all the countries fighting in this war?
- Describe the beginning of the Battle at dusk on land, and the Battle at sea at night
- What important city did the British burn?
- Why the area around New Orleans is called the “Crescent City”?
- Although Major General Jackson had US infantry in his for this battle, who are the other local people who joined in the fight?
- Why did the British Naval Fleet commanded by Admiral Alexander Cochrane have to stop so far from land?
- What did they have to do to get men and artillery onto land and through the swamps?
- What was General Pakenham’s battle plan? Did it work?
- How and what was the effect did the weather have on the Battle?
- At the Battle of East Bank, how many Americans and British troops die?