You are the VP of human resources for a 1,000 employee meat packing company in the small town of
At last week’s executive committee meeting, the President demanded that something be done to decrease turnover and increase morale, and soon. You suggested that by using an employee orientation program or a realistic job preview program, new employees will be more satisfied and less likely to quit. The president nixed the idea of using an RJP. He argued, “If people don’t know what they are getting into when they answer ads for jobs in a meat packing plant, I’m not going to waste money telling them.” Besides, he added, “the hiring process already includes a brief tour of the plant, and most prospective employees know somebody who already works there.”
That left you with the employee orientation program, which the president said he would consider if you could make a good case for why it should be done and what benefits could be gained. The president asks you to write a memo that addresses the following:
- The stage or stages of Feldman’s socialization model that may be influenced by an orientation program. Support your choice(s).
- Two key content areas of an orientation program that may reduce turnover and increase morale.
- The role of the supervisor and the new employee in an effective orientation program.
- The timing of orientation activities (i.e., one shot? spaced over time?). Support your choice.
- One potential problem that must be addressed to increase the chances the program will be effective, and what you could do to address it.