© 2014 Laureate Education, Inc. Page 1 of 2
Week 1: Using the NREPP Database Handout NREPP is a searchable online registry of more than 290 interventions supporting mental health promotion, substance abuse prevention, and mental health and substance abuse treatment. Before you begin using the Database you may want to read the following Frequently Asked Questions page.
1. From the NREPP main page, go to Advanced Search. Select an area of interest, outcome category, setting, and any of the other options such as gender, age, race, geographic location.
2. After selecting your search criteria, click on Search and your results will appear.
3. Select two interventions from the list that you wish to compare.
4. After selecting the interventions that you would like to compare, click on the
Compare button and a table comparing the selected interventions will appear. The following table shows the comparison between brief strategic family therapy, and interpersonal therapy for depressed adolescents.
Note that the outcomes addressed in the two interventions are quite different. So, they really are not comparable, but looking at the outcomes, will allow the social worker to consider which outcomes are most relevant to the client under consideration. In other words, you should select a treatment that is appropriate given your own and your clients’ assessments of the problem.
Comparison of Selected Interventions Intervention Title Outcomes Ages Races/Ethnicities Settings
Intervention Title Outcomes Ages Races/Ethnicities Settings
Brief Strategic Family Therapy
Review Date: April 2008 1: Engagement in therapy 2: Conduct problems 3: Socialized aggression (delinquency in the company of
6–12 (Childhood) 13–17 (Adolescent)
Black or African American Hispanic or Latino
© 2014 Laureate Education, Inc. Page 2 of 2
peers) 4: Substance use 5: Family functioning
Interpersonal Psychotherapy for Depressed Adolescents (IPT-A)
Review Date: August 2010 1: Depression symptoms 2: General level of mental health 3: Social functioning 4: Social problem-solving skills
Asian Black or African American Hispanic or Latino White Race/ethnicity unspecified
5. To learn more about each treatment, click on its name.
Click on the Quality of Research tab to find the published research reports of studies that evaluated the intervention approach. In many cases, the articles are available in Pub-med. In the Walden Library article search, there is an option to insert the pub-med id. Otherwise, search for the article in one of the usual databases, e.g. academic, search, Proquest, etc. The next two screens illustrate what you will see when you click on a particular intervention. Be sure to explore the Quality of Research and Readiness for Dissemination.
6. Click on the Quality of Research tab to find the published research reports of studies that evaluated the intervention approach. In many cases, the articles are available in Pub-med. In the Walden Library article search, there is an option to insert the pub med id. Otherwise, search for the article in one of the usual databases, e.g. academic, search, Proquest, etc.