Assignment 1: Planning a Group – Week 7
When a client is dealing with several problems at one time, it can be difficult to determine which type of treatment group would be most beneficial. Some types of treatment groups may overlap in addressing certain problems or issues. The literature is helpful in assisting the clinical social worker in determining the type, purpose, and goals of the treatment group.
For this Assignment, review the “Petrakis Family” case study (in attachments) and video sessions. The Petrakis family videos can be found by clicking on the Petrakis tab at the following link: http://mym.cdn.laureate-media.com/2dett4d/Walden/SOCW/MSWP/CH/mm/homepage/episodes.html.
In a 4-page paper, describe a treatment group that would help Helen Petrakis in one of the following areas: (a) caregiving, (b) sandwich generation, (c) serving as a family member of an individual with addiction. Paper should be in APA format and include references and in text citations for every paragraph. References and in text citations should be from 2013-present.
In the paper, address the following:
· Review and briefly summarize the literature about the social issue that is the focus of your group (caregiving, sandwich generation, or addictions).
· Write a plan that includes the following elements:
· Type of treatment group
· Purpose of the group
· Method to recruit
Assignment 2: Human Trafficking – Week 8
Group therapy is one of the most successful interventions for adolescents. This is because of the nature of this stage of development and the need to belong to a group. Hearing the stories of other teens and knowing that their experiences and feelings are similar is very therapeutic. Another characteristic of the adolescent stage is a short attention span, so the clinical social worker should tailor exercises that initiate and sustain discussion for adolescents.
For this Assignment, watch the “Bradley” video, Episode 1. The Petrakis family videos can be found by clicking on the Bradley tab, and watching Episode 1 at the following link: http://mym.cdn.laureate-media.com/2dett4d/Walden/SOCW/MSWP/CH/mm/homepage/episodes.html.
In a 3-page paper, identify two opening exercises that you might recommend for a group of adolescent girls who were victims of human trafficking. Paper should be in APA format and include references and in text citations for every paragraph. References and in text citations should be from 2013-present. Make sure the following questions are addressed in the paper.:
· Describe the exercises in detail so that another social worker would be able to implement them.
· Explain ways these exercises might be effective in creating a comfortable environment for these teenage girls.
· Support your rationale with the literature. For example, what does the literature say about teenage girls who have been arrested for prostitution/human trafficking and who openly discuss their experiences?
· How do these exercises promote group cohesion and encourage these teens to talk openly?