© 2013 Laureate Education, Inc 1
SOCW 6101: Essential Skills for Social Work Practice
Client Systems Role Play and Final Project Overview Document Throughout this course, you examine the steps of the Generalist Intervention Model (GIM) and the specific practice skills necessary to accomplish those steps. In your 3- part Final Project, you first identify a client system based on the level of social work practice you select. You also demonstrate your understanding of the GIM and these practice skills through your development of a video script of a client session you conceptualize. The second part of this project requires you to enlist the help of friends, peers, or colleagues to role play your interaction with the client system, with you acting as the social worker based on the script you developed. This video role play will assist you in identifying the social work practice areas where you are strong as well as the areas where you might need improvement. It also allows you to receive feedback from your colleagues and your instructor with regard to your GIM and practice skill implementation techniques. In the third and final part of this Final Project, you are called upon to reflect on your experience in the planning and execution of your role play script and video. You also review your colleagues’ videos and select one to offer a critique of areas in which your colleague did well and areas in which your colleague could improve. This process is an important aspect of the social work practice education. Part 1: Client System Role Play Script For Part 1 of your Final Project, you develop and submit a script of a client session. This script is the basis for the 3- to 5-minute role-play video you will record in Part 2 of your Final Project. For the participants in your role play, select a client system such as an individual, a couple, a family, a group, or representatives from an organization or community. Then, consider the characteristics of the client system you selected (micro, mezzo, or macro) and identify the presenting concern you plan to address. Draft the dialogue and the visual interaction between the social worker and the client system that demonstrates one step in the GIM and at least two practice techniques/skills you plan to use in this video role play. Role Play Script (2–5 pages): Your role play script should include:
• A description of the client system (depending on the client level you selected – micro, mezzo, or macro).
• An explanation of the presenting concern.
© 2013 Laureate Education, Inc 2
• A description of the client session scene in which you implement the GIM step and practice skills you selected for working with this client system.
• A detailed description of the actual dialogue that takes place between you, as the social worker, and the client(s). Note that the dialogue should depict the techniques you would use to implement the GIM step and the practice skills you selected for the client interaction.
• A description of the visual cues that both the social worker and the client might exhibit during the interaction that support the GIM step and practice skills you selected.
• An explanation of the techniques you might use to implement the GIM step and practice skills you selected and why.
Submit Part 1 of your Final Project by Day 7 of Week 5. Part 2: Client System Role Play Video For Part 2 of your Final Project, you bring your role play script to life by recording a video. This part of the Final Project allows you to assume the active role of a social worker in a safe environment and practice implementing the steps of the Generalist Intervention Model (GIM) and the practice skills of social work. As a result, you should identify a colleague, friend, or peer to act as the cameraperson to record the session so that you can focus on your role as the social worker. Role Play Video (3–5 minutes in length): Your video role play session should be based on the script you created. It should include:
• A demonstration of the interaction between you as the social worker and the client system you selected that reflects the appropriate step of the GIM and social work practice behaviors, based on the presenting concerns of that client system.
• A depiction of at least two techniques you selected for implementing the appropriate practice skills for working with your client system.
Upload your video to the classroom using the Mashup Tool. Please review the Student Guide for Integrating Media in Classroom and Reducing the Size of a Video File located in the Week 1 Learning Resources for more information on uploading your video. Support your Assignment with specific references to the Learning Resources. Be sure to provide full APA citations for your references. Submit Part 2 of your Final Project by Day 7 of Week 9. Be sure to submit a transcript of your role play video.
© 2013 Laureate Education, Inc 3
Part 3: Client System Role Play Reflection and Analysis Paper For Part 3 of your Final Project, reflect on your experience in developing and recording your role play video. Consider any insights you gained from the experience as well as any challenges you experienced in its planning and execution. Think about the specific techniques you used and why you used them. Finally, review the videos your colleagues posted. Select one of those videos and consider any areas in which your colleague might improve his or her approach and why. Reflection and Analysis Paper: (5- to 6-page APA-formatted paper): Your paper should include:
• A reflection on your experience in developing and recording this role play video. • An explanation of any insights you gained from the experience. • An explanation of any challenges you experienced in planning and executing the
role play. • An explanation of the specific techniques you used and why you used them. • A brief description of the colleague’s role play video you selected. • A critique of what your colleague did well in the video you selected and an
explanation of areas in which your colleague might improve his or her approach and why.
Support your Assignment with specific references to the Learning Resources. Be sure to provide full APA citations for your references. Submit Part 3 of your Final Project by Day 7 of Week 10. Be sure to submit your final role play script as an appendix item to your paper. The Final Project will be evaluated according to all four indicators in the Application Assignment and Final Project Rubric located in the Course Info area. Be sure to develop the Final Project using APA format
Although Part 1 of the Final Project is not submitted until Day 7 of Week 5, you should become familiar with the Final Project requirements and have them in mind as you proceed through the course. Many of the Discussions and Assignments relate to and can be of used for the Final Project.
Information on scholarly writing may be found in the APA Publication Manual (6th ed.), and at the Walden Writing Center website. Also see the Walden University Policies and Information, in Syllabus-II, under “Policies on Academic Honesty.”
- SOCW 6101: Essential Skills for Social Work Practice
- Client Systems Role Play and Final Project Overview Document
- Part 1: Client System Role Play Script
- Part 2: Client System Role Play Video
- Part 3: Client System Role Play Reflection and Analysis Paper