Stuck with a difficult assignment? No time to get your paper done? Feeling confused? If you’re looking for reliable and timely help for assignments, you’ve come to the right place. We promise 100% original, plagiarism-free papers custom-written for you. Yes, we write every assignment from scratch and it’s solely custom-made for you.
Order a Similar Paper Order a Different Paper
- O. Henry uses the symbolism of Christmas gifts to denote what the true meaning of love could be. A classic tale written in 1905, The “Gift of the Magi” is an excellent way to look at symbolism in a short story.
- Henry, O. (1905/2017). The gift of the magi. American Literature.
- On the opposite side of the spectrum, W.W. Jacobs’ “The Monkey’s Paw” holds a symbol of terrifying meaning. But is the power of the paw supernatural or psychological? You will need to decide.
- Jacobs, W.W. (1911/2017). The monkey’s paw. American Literature.
Henry, and Jacobs provide stories that surround symbols that are life-changing for the protagonist. In a well-constructed response that is at least two paragraphs, please answer the following prompt:
- Choose two of the stories and write a comparison of the symbols in the stories:
- What do each of the symbols represent?
- Is the symbolism directly or indirectly conveyed to the reader?
- How do each of the symbols affect the tone/theme of the story?
- Use cited text examples to support your analysis
- Introduce an explanation of a symbol that would be present in your life story. You can attach a picture of your symbol (an example of this might be a baby blanket from your childhood, or a baseball from your first game). Explain how this symbol represents you.