Application Paper Instructions
Course Learning Outcome:
Apply perception-checking as a tool for developing empathy
One of our course objectives is to apply interpersonal communication skills in an actual interaction outside of our class time. I want to make sure that you will have the opportunity to apply perception checking with an individual other than the person involved in your journal/journal synthesis assignment and who is not a member of this class. The interaction may be face-to-face or mediated (using electronic device).
Your paper should:
- 1. Define perception-checking with a connotative (personal understanding) and a denotative (lecture or Adler textbook) definition. Cite your reference properly immediately after the denotative definition and at the end of your paper.
- Describe the circumstance in which perception-checking was used (who, what, where, when).
- Provide an example of how you used perception-checking, employing direct quotation from your interaction.
- Describe the perceived effect of your use of perception-checking (what happened as a result).
- Analyze the reason you believe perception-checking resulted in the effect you noticed.
Your paper must:
- be typed double spaced and with one-inch margins.
- use the sample paper format (see sample paper in the Application Paper folder in Canvas)
- have at least one full page.
- be submitted via Canvas.