Reading instruction for this discussion: read text book Niles text, Basics of the U.S. Health Care System (3rd ed.), read: Chapter 4, “Government’s Role in U.S. Healthcare,” pages 91–113, Chapter 5, “Public Health’s Role in Healthcare,” pages 114–145.Use your coursepack, Foundations and Future of Health Care Delivery Management, to read: Chapter 8, “Population Health and Health Determinants,” pages 215–231, Chapter 12, “Principles for Population Health Management,” pages 287–300 and Chapter 14, “The Momentum Behind Population Health,” pages 307–316.Preparation for the Second
Unit 4 Discussion Research an example of an initiative in the U.S. healthcare system that is implementing the principles of population health management. You may use an example from your Wall Street Journal subscription, the newsletters, Healthcare Facility Management magazine, Health Affairs.org, Plane Tree Health, Digital Health Today, The Medical Futurist you subscribed to in Unit 1, articles on the Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI) Web site, or another current and credible source. In particular, review the Triple Aim framework on the IHI website.Population Health and Population Health Management: To complete this discussion, refer to the following: Caron (2017) text readings in the first study in this unit, discussing the concepts of population health and population health management. Research you completed in the second study in this unit, in which you identified an initiative in the U.S. healthcare system that is implementing the principles of population health management, using the Wall Street Journal, newsletters you subscribed to in Unit 1, resources on IHI Web site, or other current and credible sources. Information you reviewed on the Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI) Web site about the Triple Aim framework.
1. For your Main post, prepare a short essay (use a minimum of 400 words), addressing the following:
- Evaluate an example of a current initiative implemented in the U.S. healthcare system based on the principles of population health management (PHM).
- Identify Institute of Medicine (IOM) Core Measures and the PHM approaches involved.
- Discuss the barriers involved in PHM planning and implementation.
- Share the outcome or current state of the implementation and success of the initiative.