There are many techniques for designing and implementing an effective business strategy, with arguments for and against the different options. Fortunately, the wealth of existing research and case studies means that independent scholars can examine and choose the approach that is best for a given situation.
This week, you will compare the diversification value of corporate strategy and business-unit-level strategy within an organization. Also, you will construct an annotated bibliography focused on research concerning the value of diversification.
Independent scholars will:
- Compare corporate strategy versus business-unit-level strategy for diversification
- Construct an annotated bibliography of resources related to research on the value of diversification
Dyer, J. H., Godfrey, P., Jensen, R., & Bryce, D. (2016). Strategic management: Concepts and tools for creating real world strategy. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons.
- Chapter 6: “Corporate Strategy” (pp. 106–127)
- Cretu, R. F. (2012). Corporate governance and corporate diversification strategies. Review of International Comparative Management / Revista de Management Comparat International, 13(4), 621–633. Retrieved from http://www.rmci.ase.ro/
- Yigit, I., & Behram, N. K. (2013). The relationship between diversification strategy and organizational performance in developed and emerging economy contexts: Evidence from Turkey and Netherlands. Eurasian Business Review, 3(2), 121–136. doi:10.14208/ebr.2013.03.02.001
Discussion: The Value of Diversification
Diversification presents businesses with the opportunity to enter new markets, expand product or service lines, and, if done effectively, broaden the scope or reach of a business. The process of diversification requires the development of effective strategies to be implemented at the business unit level and/or at the corporate level. For this Discussion, you will utilize a specific case to compare these two strategy options. Within this, you will examine the role, challenges, and potential benefits of diversification strategies within an organization.
To prepare for this Discussion, review the “Cisco Systems: Growth Through Diversification and Acquisition” case found on pages 108–109 of Dyer, Godfrey, Jensen, and Bryce (2016) and consider how companies can utilize diversification strategies to create organizational value and competitive advantage. You may also want to review the video titled “The Upside of Concentrating Risk,” as well as the cases provided in this week’s Optional Resources for further research on diversification initiatives and business strategy effectiveness.
By Day 3
Post a comparison of corporate strategy versus business-unit-level strategy. In your comparison, address the following:
- How does corporate strategy differentiate from a business-unit-level strategy, including advantages and disadvantages of each?
- Which approach for diversification (related-constrained or related-linked) has the strongest return on investment in this case study? Explain, including at least one supportive example.
- In your opinion as an independent scholar, why does diversification most often fail to add value? Explain with at least one supportive example.
- What factors should executives consider when making a decision to diversify through green field entry over making an acquisition? Explain.
Be sure to support your work with a minimum of two specific citations from this week’s Learning Resources and at least one additional scholarly source.