Find out about an AA meeting and attend as an observer. Write a 2+ page reaction and overview of your experiences. (This can be local or out of town)
In your paper plan to answer and reflect on questions such as:
- How does the meeting begin?
- How does the meeting end?
- What type of meeting was it (open men’s only, open women’s only, Big Book, etc.)?
- How would you describe the overview of the meetings (all members participated,
one speaker, focused reading, candlelight, etc.)?
- What were your reactions to the meeting?
- What are your reactions to this type of meeting as part of treatment?
- How could you implement or utilize this type of experience in your personal/professional life?
Include in your reflections how you think that these types of meetings may or may not be helpful to members.
Make sure you attend a meeting that allows “visitors” (some meetings are closed to only those who believe they have a problem with drugs and/or alcohol). Appropriate meetings for visitors are often designated as “Open” meetings, but you can ask a representative about the appropriateness of attending.